Spider Crickets, the Critters that You Want to Get Rid of
They’re ugly, wingless, humpbacked, and have unusually long hind legs. We’re talking about spider crickets. These critters are also called camel crickets and cave crickets thanks to their unusual appearance.
Come fall and summers and these jumpy insects tend to take over our basements in NY as they generally come looking for dark and damp places. At Rest Easy Pest Control, we understand that the extent of damage that can be caused by these wingless insects and have the expertise to deal with them in an effective manner.
Nature and habits
For efficient spider cricket control, one must understand the nature and habits of these bugs.
Spider crickets prefer to nest in dark and damp places like basements, crawl spaces, laundry rooms, garages, and attics.
Spider cricket infestations on Long Island are highest during fall and summer months when it becomes hot and dry outside.
These brown-colored crickets are not dangerous and are not known to spread any diseases. However, they tend to jump towards their predators as a defense mechanism, which can be scary.
These crickets feed on fungus, clothes, carpets, wood, cardboard, plants and even each other. They also leave dark colored droppings on the walls and floors of the infested areas.
Prevention is often the best strategy to get rid of any cricket infestation. Spider crickets are quite similar to stink bugs as they accidentally enter our homes in search of damp areas similar to their natural environment.
Here are some simple steps you can to prevent an infestation:
- Since these bugs need damp areas to thrive, make efforts to reduce moisture in and around your home.
- Inspect all preferred areas for these bugs like basements and garages before the onset of summer and seal all possible entry points.
- Ensure that all crawl spaces, basements, and laundry rooms etc. are well-ventilated. You can also install a dehumidifier to remove the dampness in these places.
- Store firewood away from the house as they can also be potential areas for cricket infestation.
Spider Crickets Treatment
Removing a spider cricket infestation completely is not very easy. Though there are a number of home remedies and over the counter spays available, it is not possible to get rid of these crickets completely.
For complete cricket removal, you must hire an experienced service provider like Rest Easy Pest Control. Our team inspects the property to figure out the extent of the infestation. This helps them to estimate the cost of the treatment. The various methods used by us for spider cricket treatment include:
- Spider cricket spray: Our pest control technicians spray foundation walls, areas around doors and windows with effective spray solutions to prevent these crickets from making their way into your home.
- Spider cricket trap: These glue traps can be set up under furniture or in corners of the rooms infested. These traps do not contain pesticides, so they are safe for your pets.
- Spider cricket dust: This is one of the best methods to treat infestations in crawl spaces and basements. Most people see results in one or two weeks.
Call Rest Easy Pest Control the next time you see this ugly brown critter jumping out towards you in your home. It may be a sign of a bigger infestation. Our pest control team is the best in the NY area.
Our team of exterminators uses the safest and the most effective solutions specially designed for your home. So, Rest Easy Pest Control is your one-stop destination for all your pest control needs.***